June sees the end of Term 3 2018/2019 for our recreation members which means that we at Kilkenny Gymnastics Academy are looking forward to one of our favourite events of the year, the GymSTART Awards Challenge Event, an annual event, which will run on Sunday 16th June and Saturday 22nd June.
Our sessions will run similar to our Christmas Showcases, approximately 1 hour in length, always with another session to follow so we have a tight timetable to adhere to. Full information was included in your email but a reminder of info is below.
Please note that our Mini Gym classes will either take part in GymSTART or the Mini Gym Awards – details of which have been emailed out.
I didn’t receive an email
We kindly ask that you follow these steps before emailing to have the info resent:
- Ensure to check the account that registered your gymnast every term*
- Check your spam / junk mail
- if still not received, email info[@]kilkennygymnastics.ie with your childs full name, class day & time to have it resent
- *= this means that if Dad’s email address was used, Mums should check with him if he received it and vice versa!
Arrival / Location / Parking
- All sessions will take place at the training centre which will have seating laid out.
- Please do not arrive too early for your gymnasts session, due to the limited space, you will not be allowed to enter the training centre, please bear this in mind if it is raining.
We may not be in a position to accommodate gymnasts arriving late or at the incorrect session time.
Gymnasts will not put anything in cubbies, parents/guardians will be responsible for their belongings.
Reminder of times
- We are not in a position to remind members of their times.
- Due to data protection laws we cannot post the timetable on our website with the lists of names of the gymnasts.
- A timetable will be available on the wall in the drop off area in the training centre in the coming weeks.
- With a large number of members participating we understand that the allocated time/day may not suit
- it is impossible for us to have timetabled siblings together.
- If your gymnast cannot attend please email email@example.com with your gymnasts full name, class day and time.
- Classes continue from June 17th – 29th so we may be able to reschedule for during this time.
- You do not have to email to confirm attendance otherwise.
Audience / Entry Fee
- Parents/ Guardians are welcome to attend, there will be very limited seating available.
- In order for families to watch their gymnast in comfort we must kindly request that only 2 people per family attend.
- There will be a small charge of €3 per adult attending and €2 per child 3 & over.
- There is limited room for prams/buggies.
- If you require wheelchair assistance please contact us in advance.
- Audience encouragement for the gymnasts is very important. We encourage you to clap and cheer for the gymnasts and help us create a fun and positive atmosphere!
- Leotard or regular gym clothing.
- Bring as little as possible to the training centre this day as it will be a busy day.
- Hair must be tied back.
- No earrings or necklaces permitted.
Eating / Drinking
- There is strictly no eating or drinking in the training centre for the audience, food/drink dropped on the equipment can damage it.
Parking & Arriving by car
- Ensure to be mindful when parking to utilise the area correctly.
- Ensure if travelling on the Waterford Road towards Kilkenny city that you do not turn right into the training centre but continue down the road and loop back around the roundabout.
GymSTART Award Challenge Event Format
Gymnasts are grouped by Level and Date of Birth from across all of our classes, meaning that your gymnast may not be with gymnasts from their group – please make sure that you and they are aware of this. This is in the interest of fairness in regards to age as maturity and development levels can be so different in each year of birth.
- Gymnasts will enter onto the floor for warm up
- Break into their age appropriate and level groups
- They will perform the skills for our Judges (our coaches who are Gymnastics Ireland qualified judges).
- 7/10 skills need to be performed to a high standard in order to be awarded a certificate and medal of their Level.
- While the participation element is enough for some gymnasts, a lot want to take part in a competition so we run a competition also within each group. The top 3 scoring gymnasts at each level will be awarded a bronze, silver or gold medal.
How do the levels work?
Levels range from 1 (easiest) to 10 (most difficult), the higher levels feature difficult skills and can often take 2 years to achieve depending on the number of hours trained weekly. We also have “Plus Levels” from L6 onwards (eg. L6+, L7+ etc) which are an in between level when the next level might be just out of reach for a gymnast. These gymnasts will receive a certificate and a wristband on achievement.
As the main focus is participation and awarding the gymnasts for their achievements, every gymnast must be able to comfortably and successfully achieve a level, as well as have a slight challenge within it. Our coaches have spent time carefully deciding which level is achievable for each gymnast and have decided on the best level suitable based on their progression through the year.
Does my gymnast have to take part?
We are strong believers in participation, for gymnasts to try their best and would encourage all gymnasts to take part but it is not compulsory. If your gymnast doesn’t take part and receive their award it does not mean that they cannot continue in September. We have 2 opportunities during the year for parents/guardians to come and watch their gymnast, this is our second, this event is about participation and self – achievement.
There is nothing to worry about or be afraid of, every skill does not have to be remembered, judges will give them a reminder or can call the routine out to them. It is not an exam or a strict grading.
In order to ensure that your gymnast’s name is spelled correctly on their certificate, please check on the timetable in the training centre which will be available in the coming weeks. Mistakes cannot be rectified after issuing a cert.
We look forward to seeing everyone perform, the gymnasts have been training very hard all year and across the board we have seen a huge improvement in the gymnastics skills achieved to date. We are very proud of all that our gymnasts have achieved this year and hope that you and they enjoy the event.